Monday, July 28, 2008

An open letter to those who have a constant lovefest with the dead bearded guy who liked hanging around The Galapagos

I've been meaning to address this for sometime. It's no secret that I was a longtime poster at Charles Johnson's blog site, Little Green Footballs, and as many of you know, I was subsequently banned for using abusive and uncalled for language towards Charles. I will admit when I'm wrong, as do most real men, and I was. My outbursts were uncalled for and vitriolic. As a practicing Christian ( although one that needs to still work on his language ), I crossed a line, and for that I offer a sincere apology to Charles. To do otherwise would be the height of hypocrisy.
Now, I'm not going to write one of those I apologize but... pieces. My apology has no strings attached; just a simple mea culpa. I would, however, like to take an opportunity to explain why I think I was driven over the edge, and why many of us who left the site recently were ( the majority of us being people of faith).
There has been an ongoing argument for a few months at LGF concerning a visceral hatred by many of the bloggers there, as well as Charles, pinpointed at the creationists ( actually if we use the "racist" moniker, creationists would be an incorrect syntax - that would mean hater of creation) OK...pro-creation proponents' "intelligent design" theories. There were, and are, pro-Darwin advocates there who were, and still are, obsessed with making these believers in an alternate origin look as heinous, as backwards, and as stupid as they possibly could. They justify their actions by citing stories where the pro-ID lobby had introduced state legislation requiring intelligent design be taught alongside Darwinism. Now, folks, I've been known to have been called a "hysterical shrieker" a time or two, but even I am not so emotional to think that this kind of legislation would not pass the US Circuit Court's "smell test", much less the US Supreme Court! Come on folks! This is the same kind of ravenous fear mongering that forced the Quakers to leave Europe to flee persecution. I imagine The Crown thought they were just as justified in vilifying them because they had a different idea of Christianity. Only here we have laws CREATED BY US, not The Crown, and so far that very same law has bent over backward to make damn sure that ALL traces of religion are sterilized from the government sector - especially schools! Why would intelligent design be any different?
I am not, I repeat, NOT a proponent of intelligent design. As a matter of fact, I'm one of those strange folks who believes that God might just like to do things in stages; that He just might like things to simmer before they're done. Oh! You don't believe in God? Well, I'm sorry that you're silly that way, but this is not where I want to address your problem. That needs to be done one on one.
This, my friends, was not my fight. I thought it was stupid and a distraction; a divisive issue that drove a wedge between the faithful and the secular, and made us take our eyes off the goal...fighting Islamism. Way to go folks!! You're trying to prove the addage "divided we fall". Many of you fell for this, as I think this was a ruse to draw attention to the blog and increase hits. Everybody loves in-fighting. It's bound to drive those vaunted numbers up, wouldn't it? Beautiful, and all at the expense of a unified front against Islamism. I don't know of many people of faith capable of that kind of vitriolic hatred.
The thing that irritated me so much about this infighting was the one-sided nature of it. The appalling comparisons of IDers to Islamists (damn "ist" suffix); to white supremacists; to Apartheid! And when anyone tried to ask, cajole, or demand that the carnage be stopped, they were either banned, their comments deleted, or they were belittled. But when those of no faith started to ramp up the attacks with statements like calling the Ten Commandments , "those ten stupid idiotic rules", and others just as nasty, there was not one peep from the moderator. Not very moderate, is it?
Oh, I know that there were a few people of faith who said that it wasn't an attack on other faithful; that is was just "heated debate". That was one faithful's opinion, and of course we all know by now the particulars about opinions. Obviously, those opinions were not shared by the myriads of faithful Judeo-Christians who left in disgust at the mean-spirited blog site that LGF had become. Some of it have dubbed this exodus the Diaspora v.2.0.
Finally, I am not going to go through the wasted notion of sharing my faith and beliefs on those who will not be moved one iota. I will not cast my pearls on swine. I do want to share this with you. Those "crazy IDers" that you love to malign so much, have donated MILLIONS of dollars of their own money (you see, many of those fundamentalist nuts you're so afraid of run organizations that are pro-Israel) to keeping the Chosen people - God's people alive and in their homeland. And fighting to destroy those who support Israel is kind of like saying you support the troops, then refusing to fund them! Are you folks really sure which side you're on?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am weeping, Pax. Thank you for writing this all out.

sincerely,
Ma Sands